Sunday, June 05, 2005

Spirit West Coast

Wow, it has been quite a while since my last post....I have quite a few things to write about, but just have not had the time. So, this post will be the first of many quick posts to come....Enjoy!

For the last two years the Del Mar Fairgrounds has hosted a Christian music festival during Memorial Day weekend called Spirit West Coast. It is three days of music and prayer and ministry and thousands of people show up from many different places. Some camp out and some just show up for a day, but all are seeking good music and fellowship. Because my wife and I have four kids, we have to split time at the festival. She went on Saturday and I went on Sunday this year. It was an amazing time! I spent most of the day at the main stage, which is set up on part of the horse racetrack facing the grandstand seating area. I was down in front with hundreds of other people covering all age groups. It was a magical feeling being surrounded and worshipping God together. I hope this picture conveys some of that feeling.
When I first arrived, I heard a band playing and they sounded pretty good, so I sat and checked out a few songs. I really enjoyed the lyrics and the lead singer was very passionate. The name of that band is Telecast. I then moved on to the main stage where KJ-52 came out and did a few songs. He is a Christian rap artist. Although this isn't necessarily a style I like these days, it took me back to the days in high school when I listened to a lot of rap music. It was fun to be in the crowd, bouncing around, and waving my arms in the air with everyone else. I hung around and heard a few songs from Barlow Girl, an all-female rock group. They had some sound issues going on, but I like their style and their message. They are great role models for young girls and are proud to seek after purity in an impure world.
The acts that I could not wait for started about 5 PM. Chris Tomlin was first. In my estimation, he is one of the best worship leaders around. I saw him last year as well and he really captured everyone with his heartfelt and worshipful lyrics. I sing many of his songs with our worship team at Solana Beach Presbyterian Church, many of the same songs that are incorporated in hundreds of churches across the globe. His new CD, Arriving, is one of my absolute favorites and I am also reading a book that he wrote called The Way I Was Made.
Next up was Jeremy Camp. What an amazing artist! He is such a witness for Christ and his story is amazing. A few years ago, Jeremy's wife died at a very early age. He was of course devastated, but relied heavily on God and expressed himself through music and worship. God has carried him through that time and blessed him with a new relationship and a daughter. His music is on the rock side and his lyrics are very powerful. Check him out!
Last, but certainly not least, was Third Day. I didn't get any pictures of the band, but they were so awesome! Mac Powell is one of the best singers around and he has such a great stage presence. He even invited two people up on stage to sing part of a song with him. How jealous was I? The highlight was seeing Mac and guitarist Mark Lee come down from the main stage to a lower front stage and play "Just To Be With You," one of my favorite songs. They rocked the house!

Well, that was last weekend, more later on what else has been going on including the Padres, the number 13 and pictures of my kids....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home