Monday, May 16, 2005

The Contender

Can someone please tell me why nobody is watching this show? Is it because it is on Sunday night? This is great drama, folks. I missed yesterday's show because I was at Disneyland with my daughter (more on that later), but I was scrambling this morning to watch the fight online. It was quite a fight!
I can understand not wanting to see two grown men pounding each other in the head, it does get to be quite vicious at times. But, what I really dig about the show is the intensity with which these men lead their lives. Something about it just has me interested. For these group of men (not boxing as a whole), I see beyond the ego and trash talking to something real and honest and raw. We should all live our lives that wide open. I guess you could say I am an "old school" boxing fan....before the likes of Mike Tyson ruined the sport. Ali, Frasier, Sugar Ray....they had class and style. I like the "Rocky" spirit of the sport too, rooting for the underdog. The Contender is taking this group of men and giving them a shot at something they would not normally get close to. I like that. Mark Burnett produces and the editing and music are awesome. Throw in Sly Stallone and Sugar Ray and you have an engaging hour of fine TV.
Now I hear that the show is lagging in the ratings and NBC won't do it again. I saw Sly on Larry King this weekend and he said it was not going to be renewed. That is too bad....but maybe the underdog is not down for the count yet.
(and yes, I do know Sly personally. I've seen all the Rocky movies at least a dozen times, especially Rocky IV which co-stars my uncle Dominic, I've seen all the Rambo movies and I've seen the unheralded classics Rhinestone, Oscar, and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. So, I think that qualifies me to call him Sly...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home