Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Duhks

I discovered a new band today. Well, new to me anyway....
I just love it when I come across something fresh and new. It grabs my ear and my soul and my attention right away. It happened several years ago when I first heard Nickel Creek. To me, really good music is all about playing from the soul. Different people have different styles, different tastes, different instrument preferences....but, who really cares about that when people who play from the soul get together and jam? For me, playing music can be one of the greatest acts of worship to God. So, when I hear music that is really awesome, I thank God for the gift of music.
So, the new discovery, you ask? The band is called The Duhks (pronounced Ducks) and they hail from Canada. People have a hard time categorizing this band, and I think that is part of the reason I really like them. I abhor categories. Why do we have to label things as "pop" or "country" or "blues"? It all comes down to marketing, I guess...."how can the big guy make the big buck"? It may be easier to communicate by labeling or categorizing something, but when it comes to music, labels and categories often prevent good music from being heard.
Some people have described The Duhks as a mix between bluegrass, Celtic, blues, soul, folk and Afro-Cuban music. The band is comprised of 5 members. You'll hear percussion played mostly on a cajon, acoustic guitar, banjo, and fiddle. What grabbed me right away was the lead singing of Jessica Harvey. Her voice is powerful and soulful and it really pulls you into the music. So, when you hear that The Duhks are categorized as "folk" or "bluegrass" you might not be interested in listening to it. Trust me, if you give it a chance, the mix of instruments and soulful singing will most certainly grab your attention.
I discovered The Duhks while listening to one of my favorite podcasts. It is called The Nashville Nobody Knows. Hosted by Candace Corrigan, the show is 30 minutes of insight into the musical goings-on of Nashville, Tennessee. Candace interviews artists, recording engineers, record executives and others who work in the recording industry. They talk about what they do, how the industry works from their perspective, who their favorite artists are and they also play music chosen by the interviewee. What I really liked about the 30 minutes with Jessica Harvey was that this twentysomething is well-educated in the realm of music and the arts. She describes the songs and music of The Duhks with passion and she knows the history of the songs.
In looking for more information about The Duhks, I also came across an interview they did in February with NPR's Melissa Block. Melissa has quite often brought many artists that are under the radar to my attention through the program called All Things Considered. This particular Live at NPR feature is in two parts and all of the band members are present. It is very cool to hear the mix of instruments and the vocal harmony/fiddle playing of Tania Elizabeth. She started playing fiddle at age 3 and at age 14 started her own production company. All of these band members are amazing and, in their young 20's, have some stories to tell.
Check this band out, people! If you want to hear good music, with no boundaries, The Duhks are the place to start...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home